Arlington Business Planning Attorney
Arlington, Virginia, Estate Planning Lawyer
The Law Office of James D. Fife provides clients in Northern Virginia and the Washington, D.C., metro area with estate planning, estate administration, probate and business law services
Arlington, Virginia, estate planning attorney, James D. Fife, represents individuals, including business owners, in a wide range of estate planning matters. The firm drafts wills, powers of attorney and many different types of trust instruments to assist clients in accomplishing estate planning and wealth transfer objectives. Mr. Fife provides advice and guidance to assist clients in making appropriate decisions when they are considering alternative estate planning arrangements and selecting executors and trustees. The firm advises clients about estate and gift tax issues and techniques that may be used to minimize or avoid estate and gift taxes.
The firm also provides assistance to clients in the use of family-owned business organizations for estate planning purposes. Mr. Fife prepares documents required to form organizations, including family limited partnerships and limited liability companies (LLCs). He also provides advice about structuring gifts of interests in family business entities and planning for the dissolution of such organizations. Contact him today for all your estate planning needs.
In the area of estate administration, probate and trust administration the firm provides advice to executors, administrators and trustees regarding the construction and interpretation of wills and trusts and the administration of trusts and estates.
The Law Office of James D. Fife helps executors and administrators initiate and complete the steps required in the process of estate administration, including:
- Collection and management of assets
- Preparing and filing of inventories
- Payment of debts and expenses
- Preparing and filing of accountings
- Planning for sales of estate assets
- Protecting the executor against creditor claims
- Satisfying claims to statutory allowances
- Distributions of legacies to beneficiaries
Mr. Fife also advises clients on estate administration and post-mortem estate planning matters, including income tax planning for estates and trusts, the drafting and implementation of qualified disclaimers and planning with respect to tax elections.
The firm represents heirs and beneficiaries of estates and trusts in regard to issues that may arise in estate and trust administration, including federal estate tax issues, issues relating to a surviving spouse's election to share in an estate and issues involving the construction of wills and trusts.
Business Law and Business Planning
James D. Fife is an experienced business law attorney based in Arlington, Virginia, providing clients throughout Northern Virginia and the Washington, D.C., area with business planning and business organization legal services.
The Law Office of James D. Fife advises clients on ownership and operation of business organizations and prepares and reviews documents required to consummate clients' business transactions. Mr. Fife also gives advice about applicable tax elections, including S corporation elections.
Mr. Fife has assisted entrepreneurs who are starting new businesses in selecting the most appropriate form of business organization, including corporations, S corporations, partnerships, limited partnerships and limited liability companies. He assists business owners throughout Northern Virginia in understanding the different types of tax consequences that arise in forming and operating different types of business organizations.
- Preparing articles of incorporation and bylaws
- Drafting limited partnership agreements
- Preparing buy-sell agreements and other shareholder agreements
- Drafting operating agreements for limited liability companies (LLCs)
- Preparing documents to implement the redemption of ownership interests
- Preparing employment agreements, independent contractor agreements and covenants not to compete (non-compete agreements)
- Representing clients in negotiating transactions
- Preparing documents to provide for the liquidation of business organizations (dissolution), including agreements for transfers of stock and other ownership interests
- Representing clients in purchases and sales of businesses
Contact the Law Office of James D. Fife today for an initial consultation about your business planning, tax planning, estate planning or estate administration needs.